Friday 8 January 2016

Zuppa Toscana

So, I'm a HUGE fan of pinterest, I love it. I can spend hours browsing through jewellery I can't afford, clothes I'm too plump to wear, interior design for a house I don't own and best of all, recipes. This one I tripped across while looking through my usual newsfeed and recognising the Italian name (my partner is Italian) I decided to take a closer look.

Since it's got very few ingredients, contains sausage (yum) and promised to be filling yet low in calories I decided it was definitely worth a try. I used Maltese sausages since I live in Malta, but I think any strongly flavoured sausage of your choice would work here. The sausage is definitely the main flavour element so choose wisely. I subbed the kale for spinach since I've always got tons of that in the freezer. If you don't like/can't get gnocchi you can always use chunks of potato.

Ingredients (serves 4 or 2 if you're ravenous, approx 300cals per serving)

7 lumps of frozen spinach
approx 1 pepper worth of red peppers in a jar
Small pot Reduced fat cooking cream (we have Hopla Light)
Chicken stock
250g readymade gnocchi
1 large onion

Boil the frozen spinach and strain.
Chop finely and fry the onion then when nearly cooked add the sausages chopped/crumbled.
Brown for a few minutes and add the red peppers (chopped)
Add the chicken stock, enough to cover all the ingredients.
Add the gnocchi and boil for a few minutes then add the cream and stir in well.
Add the spinach and cook for a further two minutes.

Voila, a warming winter soup :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment